Fort Collins Nursery is a complete, year-round garden center that prides itself on customer service and horticultural experience.
Our friendly staff includes people who are experts on everything from apples to zinnias and everything in between, and includes 10 Colorado Certified Nursery Professionals. We are dedicated, knowledgeable and enjoy what we are doing. Our goal is to help you enjoy each of your visits with us and to offer expert gardening advice and outstanding support throughout the year.
Jesse is the owner of Fort Collins Nursery. Growing up in and around the Nursery, his first job here was around age 6 when he was paid 5¢ per packet to package corn and beans. Since then, he has always been drawn back to plants, and gardening. He took over ownership of the nursery from his father, Gary Eastman, in December of 2010. Jesse also enjoys rock and ice climbing, camping, and snowboarding.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My Bears Seedless Lime
- Where did you grow up? Fort Collins, Colorado.
- What is your favorite part of living on the Front Range? I love running into people I know everywhere I go.
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the green industry? I always told myself that working at the family nursery or doing odd landscaping jobs was just a way to pay the bills, but when those are the only jobs you ever have, you eventually realize that it was meant to be.
Scott is our Nursery Stock Buyer and oversees the Perennial Department and the Woodies Department (Trees & Shrubs). He has been with Fort Collins Nursery since 2000, and has worked in the Greenhouse and Woodies. Scott also gets to buy our pumpkins and Christmas trees. When Scott isn’t working (including when he’s on his lunch break) he can often be found fishing in his favorite secret fishing holes.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My daughter Ruby’s cactus. It hasn’t died… yet.
- Where did you grow up? Iowa City, Iowa.
- What is your favorite food, and why? Beer, you don’t have to chew anything – saves energy.
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child? A pediatric oncologist.
Pat is our Office Manager has been working in the business office at Fort Collins Nursery since 1996. She is generally the calm in the center of the storm when things get hectic around here. Beyond her duties in the office, Pat has been seen cashiering, helping coordinate events, and even working on the sales floor from time to time.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? All of them that are still alive!
- Where did you grow up? Cheyenne, Wyoming
- What is the farthest from Fort Collins you have traveled? What’s farther: Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Bangkok, Singapore, New Zealand, or Australia?
- What is your favorite part of living on the Front Range? Being able to navigate by the mountains! (And being so close to such beautiful surroundings)
Troy is the Greenhouse Manager at Fort Collins Nursery. He’s been working at Fort Collins Nursery since 2001, but got his start pulling weeds as a child at Shamrock Nursery in O’Neill, Nebraska. Troy’s passion for orchids has led to the development of the beautiful orchid tree in our greenhouse where orchids are growing directly on the branches of a huge Fiddle Leaf Fig, much as they would in their native tropical habitat.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? Qunep – it’s a tree native to Haiti. I collected a seed from a fruit when I was there in 2003 and was able to get it to germinate and grow!
- Where did you grow up? I was born in Montana but grew up in O’Neill, Nebraska.
- Have you ever met any celebrities? I met and talked with rapper DMX for over half an hour without realizing who he was.
- Which actor would play you in a movie of your life? Larry David.
Cortney is our Hard Goods Buyer and Merchandising Manager, taking over for Kent Hixson after his retirement in 2011. Cortney also has a great history at Fort Collins Nursery, as a retuning alumni from her time here from December 2001 to January 2003. During the in-between, she was general manager of her family’s business Electric City Conservatory/Flower Farm in Great Falls, MT, and nursery manager at Tahoe Outdoor Living in Lake Tahoe, CA. Cortney has been published in Growertalks magazine and in 2005 received the Young Retailer award for passion and enthusiasm from Green Profit magazine.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My love ficus. Love ficus is the root over rock ficus bonsai I gave my husband on our first wedding anniversary.
- Where did you grow up? Great Falls, MT. Wait a minute, I’m still growing up!
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child Queen of the Universe! Didn’t quite pan out, but at least I get to be center of attention in my family!
- What is your favorite part of living on the Front Range? The bounty of natural beauty surrounding us.
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the green industry? I didn’t decide I wanted to work in the green industry. The green industry decided it wanted me to work in it. I was chosen by the plants, so I had to learn about all the products necessary to keep them happy and healthy as well as compliment them. And I am still learning.
Brendan has been a part of the Fort Collins Nursery team for seven years, with twelve years total in the nursery business. He runs the Production crew, and annually oversees the growing of more than 35,000 perennials, trees, shrubs, annuals, and vegetables. Brendan is also the go-to fix-it guy. Some of the best days at Fort Collins Nursery are the days when Brendan brings in a crock-pot full of his homemade chili.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? All of my tomatoes.
- Where did you grow up? Cañon City, home of the Royal Gorge and lots of people who wear orange.
- Can you touch your tongue to your nose? Not without severing one or the other.
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the Green Industry? After working in it for three years.
Heather joined Fort Collins Nursery in 2011 as our Marketing & Promotions Coordinator, and handles advertisements, community relations, sponsorships, and on- and off-site events. When she’s not working here, she can be found making sparks fly from her sewing machine!
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My palm that I have managed to keep alive for 22 years!
- Where did you grow up? Boundary County North Idaho and right here in Fort Collins.
- What movie can you watch 50 times in a row and still enjoy? Harold and Maude – Ruth Gordon’s character, Maude, totally gets life… “Reach out. Take a chance. Get hurt even. But play as well as you can. Go team, go! Give me an L. Give me an I. Give me a V. Give me an E. L–I–V–E. LIVE! Otherwise, you got nothing to talk about in the locker room.”.
- Have you ever met any celebrities? I got to meet Buddy Guy in Chicago once and I was so nervous that I almost dropped the Sharpie I gave him to sign my c.d. He was talking to his buddies and didn’t even notice me as he autographed my c.d., but I was pretty sure the world stopped spinning for just a moment!
Matt is the Woodies (Trees & Shrubs) Department supervisor here at Fort Collins Nursery. He has been working in the nursery industry since 2004, and has been at Fort Collins Nursery since 2009. He is one of the tallest members of our team, and with his head up in the branches all day long, we suspect his tree knowledge is primarily absorbed through osmosis.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? I love all my plants, especially my bonsai.
- Where did you grow up? Aurora, Colorado.
- What is your favorite thing to do on your days off? Hike and/or Frisbee golf.
- What five things are always in your fridge? Milk, beef, fruit, hot sauce, and beer.
Beverly is our Garden Shop Manager. She has been working in the nursery industry for 9 years, and has been at Fort Collins Nursery since 2006. She has been passionate about growing things her whole life. “Gardening gives me the chance to create my own Eden.”
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? It’s hard to pick one, what about all of the others?!
- Where did you grow up? Southern Montana and Northern Wyoming
- What’s your favorite food? Mexican and Italian, I can’t pick just one.
- What’s your favorite thing to do on your days off? Garden…. my neighbors think I’m a nut, asking me, “Isn’t it your day off”?
Connie has held many positions at Fort Collins Nursery since she first started as an outside salesperson in 1990. Since then, she has supervised the Tree and Shrub department, worked with our Production and Maintenance crew, and even managed the Garden Shop until 2001. She rejoined the team again in 2009 as an assistant office staff, as well as many other odd jobs – as she says, “Jack of all trades, master of none.”
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My windbreak planting – over 500 plants that will eventually protect our house from the wind, enhance our property on the prairie, and give us the satisfaction of being better stewards of the land.
- Where did you grow up? Olathe, Colorado
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the green industry? I grew up on a farm in Olathe, Colorado, and have always loved growing things. My sophomore year of college I started working at a nursery and have been in the industry ever since.
- What movie can you watch 50 times in a row and still enjoy? Top Gun – the beach volleyball scene is the best. “I feel the need, the need for speed!”
Bonnie is our Assistant Greenhouse Supervisor. She has been working for Fort Collins Nursery since 2005, and in 2009 earned the prestigious title of Colorado Certified Nursery Professional. In October 2009, Bonnie adopted an abandoned kitten that was hidden away in some straw in the front canopy entrance of the store. His name is Mort and he is doing well, and enjoys helping Bonnie play video games.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? A shamrock plant because it was my grandma’s and it’s at least 20 years old.
- Where did you grow up? Timnath, Colorado
- What’s the farthest from Fort Collins you’ve traveled? Italy
- What five things are always in your fridge? Tortillas, Blue Moon Beer, fruit (whatever is in season), salsa, and Sobe Life Water.
Ashley is our Assistant Production Supervisor and is also in charge of Receiving. She started working in the nursery industry in 2010 when she joined Fort Collins Nursery after receiving a degree in Horticulture with a minor in Botany. Originally hired as seasonal help, Ashley quickly impressed us with her hard work and great personality, and we’re excited to have her as part of our team!
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My philodendron because it is very long.
- Where did you grow up? Westminster, Colorado.
- What’s your favorite food, and why? Hot sauce. It’s spicy and comes in so many different flavors; it’s fun!
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child? The Little Mermaid.