Fort Collins Nursery is a complete, year-round garden center that prides itself on customer service and horticultural experience.
Our friendly staff includes people who are experts on everything from apples to zinnias and everything in between, and includes 10 Colorado Certified Nursery Professionals. We are dedicated, knowledgeable and enjoy what we do. Our goal is to help you enjoy your visits with us and to offer expert gardening advice and outstanding support throughout the year.
Jesse is the Owner and General Manager of Fort Collins Nursery. Growing up in and around the nursery, his first job here was around age 6 when he was paid 5¢ per packet to package corn and beans. Since then, he has always been drawn back to plants, and gardening. He took over ownership of the family owned business in 2010.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My blood orange
- Where did you grow up? Fort Collins, Colorado.
- What is your favorite part of living on the Front Range? I love running into people I know everywhere I go.
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the green industry? I always told myself that working at the family nursery or doing odd landscaping jobs was just a way to pay the bills, but when those are the only jobs you ever have, you eventually realize that it was meant to be. Turns out I really enjoy it!
Scott is our Nursery Stock & Hard Goods Buyer and oversees both the Nursery (Trees & Shrubs) and Hard Goods (Garden supplies and accessories) Departments. He has been with Fort Collins Nursery since 2000. When Scott isn’t working (including when he’s on his lunch break) he can often be found fishing in his favorite secret fishing holes.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My daughter Ruby’s cactus. It hasn’t died… yet.
- Where did you grow up? Iowa City, Iowa.
- What is your favorite food, and why? Beer, you don’t have to chew anything – saves energy.
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child? A pediatric oncologist.
Pat is our Office Manager and has worked at Fort Collins Nursery since 1996. She is generally the calm in the center of the storm when things get hectic around here. Beyond her duties in the office, Pat has been seen cashiering, helping coordinate events, and even working on the sales floor from time to time. Pat really is our “Jack of all trades” and a master of many!
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? All of them that are still alive!
- Where did you grow up? Cheyenne, Wyoming
- What is the farthest from Fort Collins you have traveled? What’s farther: Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Bangkok, Singapore, New Zealand, or Australia?
- What is your favorite part of living on the Front Range? Being able to navigate by the mountains! (And being so close to such beautiful surroundings)
Arriving in 2001, Troy is the Greenhouse Manager and Hard Goods Buyer at Fort Collins Nursery. He got his start in the business pulling weeds as a child at Shamrock Nursery in O’Neill, Nebraska. Troy’s passion for orchids has led to development of a beautiful tree in our greenhouse, which features orchids that grows directly on the branches of a huge Fiddle Leaf Fig, much as they would in their native tropical habitat.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? Qunep – it’s a tree native to Haiti. I collected a seed from a fruit when I was there in 2003 and was able to get it to germinate and grow!
- Where did you grow up? I was born in Montana but grew up in O’Neill, Nebraska.
- Have you ever met any celebrities? I met and talked with rapper DMX for over half an hour without realizing who he was.
- Which actor would play you in a movie of your life? Larry David.
Brendan has been a part of the Fort Collins Nursery team for seven years, with 12 years total in the nursery business. He runs the Production crew, and oversees the annual growing of more than 35,000 perennials, trees, shrubs, annuals and vegetables. Brendan is also the go-to fix-it guy. Some of the best days at Fort Collins Nursery are when Brendan brings in a crock-pot of homemade chili.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? All of my tomatoes.
- Where did you grow up? Cañon City, home of the Royal Gorge and lots of people who wear orange.
- Can you touch your tongue to your nose? Not without severing one or the other.
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the Green Industry? After working in it for three years.
Dan joined Fort Collins Nursery in 2014 as our Marketing Director, and handles advertisements, community relations, sponsorships, and on- and off-site events.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? I have a pothos that I’ve had for almost 15 years which is definitely a record for me. It lives off of very minimal care and a lot of loud music.
- Where did you grow up? I was born and raised in Fort Collins and have been back for about 6 years after moving away for a while.
- What is your favorite part of working in the Green Inudstry? Although I’m still green in the industry (Perfect opportunity for a green pun) I really enjoy learning about plants and I have caught the growing bug. I also love being exposed to so many people who are passionate about growing and being outside.
Kristen is our Garden Shop Manager. She has been working in the nursery industry for 9 years, and has been at Fort Collins Nursery since 2012. When she is not at the nursery you will find this Norwegian gal volunteering her time to Ski For Light, guiding blind cross country skiers through the snow!
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My shamrocks because they make me feel like a super gardener!
- Where did you grow up? Between Boulder and the Twin Cities, MN
- What’s your favorite food? Edible Food
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child? I wanted to be a barrel horse racer; my air horse and I were quite fast!
Connie has held many positions at Fort Collins Nursery since starting as an outside salesperson in 1990. She has supervised the Tree and Shrub department, worked with our Production and Maintenance crew, and managed the Garden Shop until 2001. She rejoined the team in 2009 as an assistant office staff, and does many other odd jobs – as she says, “Jack of all trades, master of none.”
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My windbreak planting – more than 500 plants that will eventually protect our house from the wind, enhance our property on the prairie and give us the satisfaction of being better stewards of the land.
- Where did you grow up? Olathe, Colorado
- When did you first decide you wanted to work in the green industry? I grew up on a farm in Olathe, Colorado, and have always loved growing things. My sophomore year of college I started working at a nursery and have been in the industry ever since.
- What movie can you watch 50 times in a row and still enjoy? Top Gun – the beach volleyball scene is the best. “I feel the need, the need for speed!”
Kim is our Assistant Greenhouse Supervisor and has been with the nursery for 5 years. She graduated from CSU in 2008 with a Landscape Horticulture/ Nursery Management degree and holds CCNP and CGG certifications. She has over 10 years of experience working in greenhouses along the front range.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My vanilla orchid I started from a cutting.
- Where did you grow up? Born in New York but grew up in Loveland, CO for the most part.
- How do you spend your free time away from the nursery? I spend a lot of time gardening and on the sidelines at soccer games, cheering on my kids.
- What is your favorite food? Pepperoni pizza and bagels!
Bonnie is our Beds Maintenance Supervisor. She has been working for Fort Collins Nursery since 2005, and in 2009 earned the prestigious title of Colorado Certified Nursery Professional. Bonnie got married in 2013 to her best friend Matt Francis.
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? A shamrock plant because it was my grandma’s and it’s at least 20 years old.
- Where did you grow up? Timnath, Colorado
- What’s the farthest from Fort Collins you’ve traveled? Scotland
- What is your favorite food and why? Cheesecake, because I love to bake and I make a mean one!
Ashley is our Assistant Production Supervisor and is also in charge of Receiving. She started working in the nursery industry in 2010 when she joined Fort Collins Nursery after receiving a degree in Horticulture with a minor in Botany. Originally hired as seasonal help, Ashley quickly impressed us with her hard work and great personality; we’re excited to have her as part of our team!
- What plant at your home are you most proud of? My philodendron because it is very long.
- Where did you grow up? Westminster, Colorado.
- What’s your favorite food and why? Hot sauce. It’s spicy and comes in so many different flavors; it’s fun!
- More than anything else, what did you want to be when you were a child? The Little Mermaid
Shannon is part of our Outside Management team.
- Where did you grow up? In Lakewood, CO.
- What plant are you most proud of? My monstera houseplant inside and my rhubarb in my yard.
- Where is the farthest from Fort Collins you have travelled? Honduras, it’s got some beautiful plants and stunning coral reefs!
- What movie can you watch 50 times in a row and still enjoy? Either Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro or Surf’s Up, they’re both such great throw-backs!
Alex is part of our Outside Management team. She has been on our staff for 5 years and has worked in almost every department. When she is not gardening she is working in her jewelry studio.
- Where did you grow up? In Roosevelt National Park, Rist Canyon, CO.
- What plant are you most proud of? My bird of paradise at the moment but it changes almost daily since I have so many.
- Where is the farthest from Fort Collins you have travelled? Valparaiso, Chile
- What movie can you watch 50 times in a row and still enjoy? I’d have to say What we do in the Shadows or Best in Show. Mockumentaries hold a special place in my heart.
Bobby is part of our Outside Management team.
Originally published on May 3rd, 2010. Updated on November 22nd, 2019.